Smoking Cat

At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in early April 2020, I set myself a challenge to complete an unfinished mosaic using only materials I had on hand. I was especially ambitious, as I posted the challenge on Instagram with the caption "Shelter-in-Place Mosaic Challenge #1". Given my past inconsistent dedication and motivation to completing mosaic projects, it was a tall order to complete more than one; however, I began my challenge in earnest.

The chosen work for the challenge is entitled "Smoking Cat", and is based on a photograph I took of my cat Percy many years ago. Percy, who passed away last year after twenty happy years, was a slightly goofy, sweet-tempered kitty, but I always liked to imagine he had a secret life as an edgy badass. What better way to transform a softie to a tough guy than a cigarette!

I began the mosaic over ten years ago, using Mosaic Mercantile vitreous glass tile from Michaels and Winckelmans unglazed porcelain tile. I finished most of the face and the cigarette at the time, and then the piece sat untouched until last year.

Upon the launch of the challenge, I evaluated my available materials and discovered I had plenty of unglazed porcelain which complemented the existing tiles nicely. After a few quick decisions on coloring, I completed the face in a couple of weeks. And it sat. And sat. It was not until New Years Day of this year that I started up again. This time, though, I was unable to stop. The piece was grouted this morning. While I wasn't able to complete multiple Shelter-in-place challenges, I am pleased that I was able to finish this one.

The time lapse video of the grouting was fun to make...

...though not the most high-tech setup.

I am happy to report that I have another project in the works, and I hope to ride this wave of inspiration for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portuguese Rooster

Review: C3 Recycled Glass Tile